Poly's Roly Rumble Demo

Poly's Roly Rumble is a top-down platformer controlled by tilting the Playdate.
We've been working on it and wanted to share a small demo (3 levels & a boss).

poly3 poly1
star

Would love some feedback on this! It's definitely got some bugs and performance issues that we're still working out. :sweat_smile:

The game is built for SDK 0.12 and is pretty much only playable on device, since it relies on the accelerometer.

PDX for SDK 1.0.0:
RolyPoly.pdx.zip (11.7 MB)

There's a tutorial in-game, but for reference:
Tilt to move
Jump: A button
Charge dash: Hold B
Ground pound: Press B midair

24 Likes

This is really cool! The vibe is really dreamy and I dig that. I finished the demo.

A request, if I may be so bold:

• calibrate accelerometer zero to be whatever angle the device is at when the game is started. Currently you have to play with the device parallel to the ground which I find uncomfortable.

A question:

• the long wait at the beginning of a stomp makes hitting moving objects more difficult than it could be. why so long?

And a bug?

• I always see 3 white hearts. So death and being reset comes as a surprise!

Super work! Thanks for sharing the demo.

4 Likes

calibrate accelerometer zero to be whatever angle the device is at when the game is started

This is definitely on the roadmap!

the long wait at the beginning of a stomp makes hitting moving objects more difficult than it could be

Hm, it's intended to be similar to a ground pound like in Mario or similar games, maybe the timing could be tweaked

I always see 3 white hearts. So death and being reset comes as a surprise!

Dang I thought I had squashed this one :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

EDIT: Uploaded a fixed build to the original post

Thanks for playing it, this is very useful :heart:

So this game is great! I had a lot of fun playing it, also those graphics are so crisp !

So I have to agree with matt. Holding the device flat was a bit awkward, would be nice to calibrate it for sure.

Also I might just be bad, but some of those islands are small. I might need some more practice :sweat_smile:

Uploaded an updated PDX for SDK 1.0.0 in the original post :grinning:

Can you recompile it for 1.0.8? This is so fun!

Found skip on second level :>

playdate-20210723-092732

8 Likes

There are some weird collisions, there are some jumps I thought I'd be able to make only to be met by oddly placed invisible walls (like, literally before a platform). But the music is neat and the gameplay reminds me of Kirby's Tilt & Tumble.

1 Like

This is great.
I've been thinking about the accelerometer a lot as a fun way to control a game.

I tried it in the simulator... too hard when controlling the accelerometer with the mouse :wink:

I agree that the stomp timing feels a little long.

Keep up the great work! Can't wait to try this on a device!

Just noticed this. I love it, I want to play it!

(I wonder if modern MacBooks/Pros still have accelerometers? I'm guessing not, but there used to be novelty games that used tilt on MacBooks. The hardware existed to detect freefall, which would make the hard disk heads pull away from the surface to prevent damage on the expected impact. If by some weird chance, that's still possible, it would be a cool simulator feature! Or remote-controlling tilt from a phone, I suppose—even webpages can do that, with permission.)

Tilt 'n' Tumble, looks lovelyyy!

My couple bits of feedback echo what's already here, but I'll post them anyway...

1. Allow the user to reset the accelerometer. Having to hunch over to roll forward got uncomfortable after a while.
  2. The rolling is sensitive to me, so allowing the user to calibrate sensitivity would be a nice option, if possible. Landing those small platforming bits was super difficult (for me; I couldn't get past 1-2 :smiley: )
  3. Cut down the wind up time for the air attack. By the time it executes, the enemy's sometimes a few spaces away.

Beyond those three criticisms, this game is super impressive and I'm really excited to see more!

3 Likes

This looks brilliant! Any news on when the full game might release?

1 Like

This is a fantastic game and I look forward to seeing the full release!

However, I found a bug while playing it (pun not intended). If you defeat the boss at the end of level 3, die before completing the level, and then go back to the boss area, the game crashes.

1 Like

As of now the game spawns me in the river and I'm unable to try the demo. I'm just stuck in a loop.

You could try deleting game save data from Settings > Games

@DeeMellow

Gave it a shot and still flung into my favorite ocean. I also tried giving the device a whole reset. Nada.

Are you guys still working on this game? Tried playing the demo but the first level has you just in the water without any of the platforms. Tried deleting game data and reinstalling but didn’t change.

3 Likes

Would love to see more of this game!1!!!!!!

1 Like

I think the game is incompatible with the latest OS, it just shows the water texture and not the land. Still seems like a really cool concept and would enjoy to see further work on it if it's still in development.