Quick dithering tool

I discovered Atkinson's dithering and wrote a quick tool to generate images using it and comparing it with Floyd Steinberg. Thought it might be useful so sharing here :slightly_smiling_face:

https://codepen.io/t0m/full/xxPWJQm

Here's an example using Floyd-Steinberg

Atkinson was designed for the original Macintosh, it provides better contrast, at the cost of a bit of detail. Feels like a great fit for Playdate.

Original tweet: Tom Granger on X: "๐Ÿงต1-bit time! TIL that Apple developed their own dithering method for the 1984 Macintosh, giving its monochrome graphics a distinctive look. This is what one of Hokusai's great ๐ŸŒŠ would look like on, say, the @playdate using traditional Floyd-Steinberg dithering:" / X

Cheers!

Thanks for sharing. I always like the look of the Atkinson dithering.
I think its strength is that it doesn't transmit the full error value but only part of it. That creates wider white space which in most cases looks better (but not always)

Oh cool, sure! Where can I find it ?

hahaha this is so cool :grinning: