Running the simulator on non-Ubuntu Linux

I am currently running Gentoo and I've run the setup script successfully, but the simulator refuses to run.

This is the error I get:

./PlaydateSimulator: symbol lookup error: ./PlaydateSimulator: undefined symbol: gdk_wayland_display_get_wl_display

I can only assume that this is because I'm using X11 instead of Wayland? XFCE is my desktop environment of choice, which Wayland does not currently work with.

Is there any way that I can get around this?

EDIT: Seems like rebuilding gtk+ and some other packages with Wayland support enabled could allow me to run it (Gentoo Forums :: View topic - [SOLVED] undef symbol: gdk_wayland_display_get_wl_compositor). The issue goes a bit deeper, though (see here: Potential Wayland dependency (#40693) · Issues · The Tor Project / Applications / Tor Browser · GitLab), and installing libraries that I will never actually use is not an ideal solution.

I did manage to get the shim working, though, by building it as described in those threads and then running the command LD_PRELOAD=/path/to/shim.so ./PlaydateSimulator. Also not an ideal solution, but it runs.