Simple Save Point Example

I was recently asked to help with a simple save system using save points, and I figured it would make a nice little how-to here on the forum.

Goal

  • The game starts on a title screen
  • On the title screen the player can select "New Game" or, if save data exists, "Continue"
  • Selecting "Continue" will start the player at their last saved location
  • "Save point" items will automatically save when walked over
  • "Computer" sprites will offer the choice of "Save" or "Quit" when interacted with
  • Pressing "B" will restart the game (for easier testing)

Example project

Save Point Demo.zip (2.6 KB)

Code

player script

on draw do
	if event.room=="title" then
		hide
	end
end

on cancel do
	fin "Restarting game... " at 2,12,19,1
end

title room script

on enter do
	restore "continue_room"
	menu at 7,10 then
		if continue_room!=0 then
			option "Continue" then
				restore
				goto continue_x,continue_y in continue_room
			end
		end
		option "New Game" then
			toss
			goto 12,8 in "middle"
		end
	end
end

save point item script

on collect do
	continue_room = event.room
	continue_x = event.x
	continue_y = event.y
	store "continue_room"
	store "continue_x"
	store "continue_y"
	store
	say "Game saved!" at 6,12,11,1
end

computer sprite script

on interact do
	menu at 9,11,4,2 then
		option "Save" then
			continue_room = event.room
			continue_x = event.px
			continue_y = event.py
			store "continue_room"
			store "continue_x"
			store "continue_y"
			store
			say "Game saved!" at 6,12,11,1
		end
		option "Quit" then
			tell event.player to
				call "cancel"
			end
		end
	end
end

Maybe this will be of help to someone else!

Dude thank you for this. I'll test this out as soon as I get back in from holiday! I'll make sure to credit you in the game

I am here to confirm that it does in fact work! The store method is simple enough and as long as I plan my levels out accordingly, no one can manipulate keys or unlockables. Thank you so much Orkn!