Arm-non-eabi process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, uname -s, ...) failed

Hmm, I have arm-non-eabi installed now, but when I run 'make' in the VSCode terminal I get the following string of errors.

PS C:\Users\shrin\Documents\Playdate Projects\mini3d-plus\src> make
process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, uname -s, ...) failed.
C:\Users\shrin\Documents\PlaydateSDK/C_API/buildsupport/common.mk:1: pipe: No error
detected_OS is ""
process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, which arm-none-eabi-gcc, ...) failed.
C:\Users\shrin\Documents\PlaydateSDK/C_API/buildsupport/common.mk:28: pipe: No error
process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, which arm-none-eabi-objcopy, ...) failed.
C:\Users\shrin\Documents\PlaydateSDK/C_API/buildsupport/common.mk:34: pipe: No error
OBJDIR is "build"
C:\Users\shrin\Documents\PlaydateSDK/C_API/buildsupport/common.mk:159: *** multiple target patterns. Stop.

I verified that arm-none-eabi-gcc and arm-none-eabi-objcopy are both recognized by the terminal if I enter them on their own. So it's definitely installed and properly referenced in PATH. I can't sus out why these are failing.

The culprit lines in the C_API common.mk makefile:

TRGT = arm-none-eabi-
GCC:=$(dir $(shell which $(TRGT)gcc))
OJBCPY:=$(dir $(shell which $(TRGT)objcopy))

(It'sa been a while since I've done any C++ dev environment setup, apologies if any of this has a super obvious solution!)

It doesn’t look like make is supported on Windows, you’re supposed to use CMake (it can generate makefiles for NMake): See “Building on Windows” in Inside Playdate with C.

2 Likes

Since recently, you can use CMake and mingw-make to build on Windows.

Here are the steps to build a project from bash:

mkdir build
cd build
PLAYDATE_SDK_PATH="/C/Path/to/the/PlaydateSDK"
cmake .. -G "MSYS Makefiles" -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release
mingw32-make
1 Like

Thanks for the heads up! I installed mingw32 and tried your instructions. It's failing to run the pre-build test program, says it can't find a file specified, but the only files it references appear to be temporary, and it clears the directory after it's done. :joy: Have I configured something incorrectly?

PS C:\Users\shrin\Documents\Playdate Projects\mini3d-plus\src> cmake .. -G "MSYS Makefiles" -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release
-- The C compiler identification is GNU 13.2.0
-- The ASM compiler identification is GNU
-- Found assembler: C:/mingw32/bin/gcc.exe
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - failed
-- Check for working C compiler: C:/mingw32/bin/gcc.exe
-- Check for working C compiler: C:/mingw32/bin/gcc.exe - broken
CMake Error at C:/Program Files/CMake/share/cmake-3.29/Modules/CMakeTestCCompiler.cmake:67 (message):
  The C compiler

"C:/mingw32/bin/gcc.exe"

is not able to compile a simple test program.

It fails with the following output:

Change Dir: 'C:/Users/shrin/Documents/Playdate Projects/mini3d-plus/src/CMakeFiles/CMakeScratch/TryCompile-kgrwsf'

Run Build Command(s): "C:/Program Files/CMake/bin/cmake.exe" -E env VERBOSE=1 C:/ProgramData/chocolatey/bin/make.exe -f Makefile cmTC_fd6c2/fast
    C:/ProgramData/chocolatey/lib/make/tools/install/bin/make.exe  -f CMakeFiles/cmTC_fd6c2.dir/build.make CMakeFiles/cmTC_fd6c2.dir/build
    make[1]: Entering directory 'C:/Users/shrin/Documents/Playdate Projects/mini3d-plus/src/CMakeFiles/CMakeScratch/TryCompile-kgrwsf'
    process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, sh.exe -c "/C/Program Files/CMake/bin/cmake.exe -E cmake_echo_color --switch= --progress-dir=/C/Users/shrin/Documents/Playdate Projects/mini3d-plus/src/CMakeFiles/CMakeScratch/TryCompile-kgrwsf/CMakeFiles --progress-num=1 Building C object CMakeFiles/cmTC_fd6c2.dir/testCCompiler.c.obj", ...) failed.
    make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified.
    make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/cmTC_fd6c2.dir/build.make:77: CMakeFiles/cmTC_fd6c2.dir/testCCompiler.c.obj] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory 'C:/Users/shrin/Documents/Playdate Projects/mini3d-plus/src/CMakeFiles/CMakeScratch/TryCompile-kgrwsf'
    make: *** [Makefile:127: cmTC_fd6c2/fast] Error 2

CMake will not be able to correctly generate this project.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  CMakeLists.txt:31 (project)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

I wasn't able to run PLAYDATE_SDK_PATH="" to set that from a Powershell terminal or command prompt. (Thinks it's a command and can't find the reference.)

I tried putting your whole snippet in a build.sh file, but get no output when I run it.

Trying to open bash directly just gets this message

C:\Users\shrin\Documents\Playdate Projects\mini3d-plus\src>bash
<3>WSL (11) ERROR: CreateProcessEntryCommon:502: execvpe /bin/bash failed 2
<3>WSL (11) ERROR: CreateProcessEntryCommon:505: Create process not expected to return

I'm not sure why tf I'm having this many issues, I haven't tried to set it up for C development before. :laughing:

Edit: Update, I tried opening the solution file for this project (mini3dplus) in Visual studio, and the build output is identical. So it's probably not related to any bash issues.

For further reference, here's the mini3d-plus project: GitHub - nstbayless/mini3d-plus: a kart game and engine for the playdate

and there was not a CMakeLists.txt file in the mini3d-plus project, so I built mine off of the one referenced here: Difficulty building for Playdate Device using Visual Studio 2019 on Windows

I solved my issues by downloading and building another project, someone's C API "Hello World" template. This tells me that the issue was probably with the Makefile configuration I was using. I'll submit feedback to the mini3d-plus project that they should include a valid CMakeLists.txt file for Windows users, but otherwise I'm unblocked.

Thanks again to everyone that helped!

1 Like