Help getting started - card game

Hello,

I'm completely new to game development but have a basic understanding of programming concepts. I'd love to start making a little card game, whether in Pulp or Lua. I'm a bit overwhelmed by the sheer amount of documentation and engines available and was wondering if anyone might be able to offer up An Idiot's Guide to Making a Card Game in Playdate.

I know I'll want to have some sort of grid I use on the screen to determine which card the player's cursor is on. I'll need some sort of table to store each possible card, and then new tables created with each game, to make the hand of cards that the user and opponent are holding. I'll need to draw the cards to the screen in the places they should go according to the game. I'd also love to have a single-player campaign, so I'd like to implement an AI that makes decisions based on gamestate. I know I'd like to use Piskel to draw game assets.

I'd like to avoid reinventing the wheel and building everything from scratch. But I have no idea where to even start with this. I was wondering if someone else who has been through this might be able to give me some pointers. Thanks so much.

2 Likes

Lua is probably the better route for this kind of game, with Pulp you'll struggle with opponent AI and with displaying multiple large cards on the screen. Good luck!

This tutorial is for love2d but is translatable to Playdate SDK. Though it makes sense to follow it through in Love2d first and then remake it for Playdate. There's a lot to unpack but it'll be fun!

https://simplegametutorials.github.io/love/blackjack/