Linux SDK Chromebook "Failed to write" install errors

I've been attempting to install the Linux SDK on my Chromebook, and all I get is a string of "Failed to write" errors, noting that permission is denied.

For example:

Creating desktop files...
Creating mime info...
Setting udev rule...
Failed to write 'change' to '/sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/uevent': Permission denied

I'm going to guess this has something to do with how Linux works on Chromebooks, but I'm not very well-versed in Linux. Maybe it's because Linux on Chromebook is restricted to the terminal, and has no visual desktop? I've looked and looked but can find hardly any posts / articles about setting up the SDK on Chromebooks (not too surprising, I guess).

One other note: I am using an Intel Chromebook. I know others have had issues because their Chromebooks used unsupported ARM chips.

Yeah, this is probably going to be a bad time. There are several linux packages it relies on that I'd guess aren't going to be available OOB. This error is setting permissions so the Simulator can read the USB port which may be different on a Chromebook. I'd suggest trying to launch the Sim from the terminal, seeing how it fails, and then installing the necessary packages. Then, after it's running try to figure out how to get USB serial reading working. You're definitely in uncharted territory here. :slight_smile:

Surprisingly, the Simulator seems to work fine after all, regardless of the error messages. I haven't tested connecting to an actual Playdate unit yet.

Definitely some more testing/work to go through. If I can get a workable solution I might write it up for other weirdos trying to develop Playdate games on Chromebooks :sweat_smile:

1 Like

So I did wind up making a guide for getting the Playdate SDK working on a Chromebook via Linux. The major caveat is that you cannot use a Playdate as a controller for the simulator, but everything else seems to work, at least at first glance. I've been able to compile .pdx files without issue.

Maybe someone out there will be able to take it further than I have, but I'm happy to have gotten it working at all!

Here is the guide, if anyone finds it interesting or useful!

1 Like