Narrator-Playdate : The Ink language parser and runtime implementationadapted to Playdate!

EDIT: While this is not going anywhere, someone made some stellar work porting Ink to the Playdate. Have a look at Tinta

Hello all!

After looking and asking around here and everywhere, I took some time to adapt Narrator, a Ink runtime for Lua to playdate!

It is still VERY EARLY as I am testing it as I go and develop my own project (hopefully I'll make a devlog about it here at some point)

Have fun and send some love of the original author of the library!

12 Likes

Me and teammate have been talking about making a Ink parser when I saw this! We are going to try this, thanks for sharing! BTW, for some reason I was getting an error with the toybox add command but when I removed the final '/' from the link, it worked.

1 Like

Hi ZeAntwan, have you tested ink variables yet? I get this error whenever I use a variable.

PlaydateSimulator

Load failed, error: story.lua:606: bad argument #1 to 'insert' (table expected, got nil)
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'table.insert'
	story.lua:606: in method 'read_text'
	story.lua:527: in function <story.lua:422>
	(...tail calls...)
	story.lua:91: in method 'begin'
	main.lua:29: in main chunk
Update error: story.lua:606: bad argument #1 to 'insert' (table expected, got nil)
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'table.insert'
	story.lua:606: in method 'read_text'
	story.lua:527: in function <story.lua:422>
	(...tail calls...)
	story.lua:91: in method 'begin'
	main.lua:29: in main chunk

I'm using the example code you provided. The only edit I made was adding a variable "foo" in the beginning of game.ink. The ink file was parsed using astrochili's Narrator code (not through the defold project).

game.ink

VAR foo = 1
- I looked at Monsieur Fogg {foo}

EDIT
It seems that I fixed it. Stack was not being returned at the end of story:do_expression(expression) in story.lua

return self:manualExpression(expression), stack

But conditional choices don't work, which I believe is a known issue :frowning:

* {test} [This is a choice!] -> choice1 // is not hidden when test is false

I'm having issue with my PC so it will unfortunately be hard for me to check, but I know my handling of expression and variables from ink is still very flawed (I had to comment a lot out of the original), but I remembered it working, so I might have broken it somehow...

I'll have a look at fixing it once I can run playdate code again !

However, Conditional choices "should" work, but you might need (for now at least) to do a more specific check like "test == true".

Likewise, I'll have a look at it as soon as I can... Sorry about that!

Hi! Popping up to say hello and ask if the project is still alive?

It still is... Kinda...
I've been focused on the writing of the project I'm working that would make use of this, so I'll hopefully resume using and debugging it :blush:

2 Likes