Networking Functionality

Hello!

I just downloaded the SDK today and started reading through the docs. I noticed the JSON support and that got me thinking about web-connected games. I don't see a way to make HTTP requests. I was thinking about making a web-connected game with a leaderboard and this functionality would be pretty sweet if it doesn't exist today.

6 Likes

Leaderboard function is available only to Season games.

Currently there's no way to get general web access in game.

1 Like

+1 for network functionality

I was excited to build a reader app for a website of mine (think a hacker news client for example) but was sad when I saw network requests are only available in the simulator.

If it is a privacy issue - I'd be totally fine with it as an option you have to turn on, or even something you can only use on games you make yourself... I just really want to be able to display data from the internet on my Playdate.

1 Like

Me too! I’ve been entertaining a podcast app and would need a network api. I can understand not adding it for privacy, performance, and battery life though.

2 Likes

Also + 1 for network functionality.

I've got some ideas that could be very cool but it kind of requires some sort of network functionality. Preferably something similar to tcp/ip so the playdate could communicate with servers that support tcp/ip.

/Jimmie

I'd definitely want this as well. Working on a concept for a game where players can share/download puzzles.

1 Like

You could use the /Data folder for that. It's a little janky, but it works. Especially since it'll be a little easier to share whatever puzzle files you have, WarioWare: D.I.Y. Showcase style