Won't boot after system update "invalid bootloader file"

Hey I have a developer preview version of the playdate.

I booted it up again after a year (I'm sad it took this long for me to get around to it). It worked just fine. Then I went to the settings menu and installed the system update.

Afterwards it booted and said "invalid bootloader file". If I click A it says "sharing BOOT segment as USB drive" and if I click A it switches back.

Here's a picture:

Is there any way of restoring it?
On the USB there is no error.txt or crash.txt
Just a boot file and a pdfw file...

Sorry about that — you'll first need to do a manual upgrade to firmware version 1.6.1, where we made a change to the filesystem, before versions after that will install. So it will be a two-step update, and your device will be reformatted in the process.

If you private-message me your serial number (it's printed inside the crank dock) I'll get you the needed files.

Alternatively: try removing boot and pdfw and rebooting. If it gets all the way to the launcher, you may be able to bring it up to 1.10.0 by updating twice. (We made a change on our end so that you'll get 1.6.1 the first time.)

So I was going to try that and when I booted it up today it got stuck in a Applying update, then weird glitch image, then applying update again.

I clicked reset 3 times and it brought up the sharing as USB thing.
I deleted the boot and pdfw files.

When afterwards it got into that applying update, then weird glitch image, then applying update loop again.

I reset it 3 times and now it says "sharing DATA segment as USB drive".

I loaded that up and the errorlog looks like this:

/System/Settings.pdx
system/gamedetailview.lua:208: attempt to concatenate a nil value (field 'bundleID')
stack traceback:
	system/gamedetailview.lua:208: in upvalue 'drawGameOptions'
	system/gamedetailview.lua:256: in method 'draw'
	main.lua:183: in upvalue 'drawView'
	main.lua:362: in function <main.lua:357>

/System/Settings.pdx
system/gamedetailview.lua:208: attempt to concatenate a nil value (field 'bundleID')
stack traceback:
	system/gamedetailview.lua:208: in upvalue 'drawGameOptions'
	system/gamedetailview.lua:256: in method 'draw'
	main.lua:183: in upvalue 'drawView'
	main.lua:362: in function <main.lua:357>

I think I don't understand the reset thing very well haha. I got it to share the boot segment again...

I'll just message you with the serial number... one sec.

Hey there @dwineman ! I'm not a developer but I have the same message on my production Playdate. How do I resolve it?

Never mind, a reset with a paperclip resolved it :slight_smile:

1 Like

hi, i have a similar problem with my developer unit, how do i upgrade to firmware version 1,6,1 manually? thank you!

We have a process for this, but it's a bit involved. I'll message you privately.

Hi @dwineman I have a similar issue but with a production model. I approved an update last week but now my playdate won't boot. I get a "your playdate has crashed. Press A to restart" message. If I press A, I get the logo screen, then an "installing update" message for a split second, but the crash message quickly returns. The same thing happens if I do a soft reset with a paperclip.

I noticed that I can connect my playdate to my Mac and can see the "booty" folder if I let the battery run out. There is a single file version.txt in the folder. Is there a way to get my playdate reinitialized (or something)?

@Mr.Mitternacht Looks like your device has recovery firmware available, so try this:

• Boot the device and let it reach the "your playdate has crashed" screen
  • Hold down A + B + Menu + Lock for a little over 5 seconds
  • After it reboots, release A + B but keep holding Menu + Lock to confirm entering recovery mode

This will get you back to 1.11.1 and hopefully you should be able to download and install the 1.12.2 update as normal from there. Your games and save data should remain intact. Let me know how it goes!

1 Like

@dwineman It seems to have worked! Thanks a bunch!!

1 Like

Hello! I have a production model PlayDate and I've run into the same problem- I let the PlayDate software update overnight, but the next morning it was just stuck on the logo screen. I can cycle through to sharing the BOOT and DATA segments as USB, but there's nothing in BOOT when I mount it. I also tried the recovery firmware instructions that @dwineman posted above, but to no avail; the PlayDate just stays on the logo screen.

Are you able to force-reboot the Playdate using a paper clip? (The hole is inside the crank dock.)

When I press the hole in the crank dock, I'm able to cycle between the logo screen and the BOOT and DATA USB modes, but it never actually boots back into the regular OS. It just stays on the logo screen until it runs out of battery.

Just wanted to post a quick update so that anyone else who sees this thread in the future isn't left hanging: in a DM thread, @dwineman graciously helped me get my PlayDate back up and running. Thanks so much to everyone at Panic!

1 Like

Hi Dan,

I have the same problem with my dev playdate as well, trying the alternative (with deleting the files on the boot disk) didn't help unfortunately. What do I have to do?

Cheers

Sorry for the trouble, Onat! I've sent you instructions by private message.

Hey, I am having the same issue on my developer preview version...

when trying to do the latest update it is now stuck. It says invalid bootloader file, sharing BOOT segment as USB drive. I used the paperclip to manually reboot then it goes back to updating but never finishes. can i get some help fixing this?